11.13.2012

tuesday tunes – soulful ladies


First up is one of my absolute all-time favorites Emiliana Torrini, an Icelandic singer whose haunting vocals you might recognize from her performance of "Gollum's Song" in The Two Towers. (I know, I know this makes two days in a row with LOTR references) She is fantastic and I'd very strongly recommend her album Fisherman's Woman (2005). And here's one of my favorites off that album: Sunny Road

And since I didn't get around to doing a Tuesday Tunes last week (the car situation has been fully handled, I'm happy to say), here's another of my favorite sultry female vocalists…the amazing Julie London. As I told Scout over at Cardigans & Old Watches, I first heard Julie in the 2006 film V for Vendetta and I just fell in love with her casual, smoky style. She can swing it right along with the greats (namely, Ella & Billie), and her sensual tone always makes me feel like I'm sitting in bar smoking a cigarette and drinking a mint julep somewhere circa 1960. (though I don't actually do any of those things, for the record) So here's one of her most famous songs (I know you'll love it too): "Cry Me A River"




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! I really love reading them and look forward to hearing what you have to say!