6.20.2014

current reads

I'm in the midst of what feels like a giant stack of "to-reads" lately, despite the fact that I have very little free time to actually sit and devour chapters at a time. Regardless, here's what's currently on my nightstand...a bit of sample platter with food, fiction, and faith.

The Food: 
I'm Just Here for the Food by Alton Brown (2002)


Extreme wittiness meets kitchen science meets passionate foodie. I've never read/watched much of Alton's stuff prior to this so I was surprised by just how much I appreciate his style. Given to me for free in a large box of "throwaway" cookbooks, this was an instant keeper. The science is fascinating and really helps me understand the "why behind the what" when cooking. I've got probably 30 pages to go yet but I have no doubt it will be a handy resource on my shelf for years to come. If only high school chemistry had made so much sense!








The Fiction: 
Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry (2001)

Recommended by my cousin's smart and savvy husband, I figured this was really worth a shot. I'm only a little ways in so far but it is interesting. Not an immediate "I'm hooked!" but definitely intriguing.



The Faith: 
Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney (2003)

I snagged this one off Amazon after reading a fellow blogger's very positive review. Although I don't necessarily agree with 100% of Mahaney's views, I think her intention is good and that she makes a lot of great suggestions. Sometimes her tone is a bit too harsh/judgmental regarding women who make or are put in difficult situations requiring life choices other than those Mahaney feels are best, but overall, it has sparked a fair bit of interesting dialogue (between me, myself, and I). So early in our marriage, I am looking for & appreciating almost any Biblically based advice on marriage/wife-dom as I can. Which led to...

The Christian Homemaker's Handbook by Pat Ennis & Dorothy Patterson (2013)

This was a bit of an impulse purchase during a recent stop at the Christian bookstore. It looked interesting and at least sounded like exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for right now. I haven't even started it yet but I hope it contains lots of great advice and spiritual encouragement. Reviews are a bit mixed on Amazon.

What's on your nightstand? Read and have opinions on any of these?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! I really love reading them and look forward to hearing what you have to say!